Thursday, February 19, 2009

Matthiessen, Kunzru, Helfer, Hemingway

Hottest new picks:

On the River Styx and Other Stories by Peter Matthiessen
(Let's get this out of the way: No, Peter Matthiessen is not dead.) A founding editor of The Paris Review (and CIA spy, apparently), Matthiessen is part of the American literary pantheon. Matthiessen's The Snow Leopard (which I've got in a box somewhere and will eventually list) was a National Book Award winner. These are wonderful stories. My favorite: "Lumumba Lives." Hardback no dustjacket, 125 EEK.

Transmission by Hari Kunzru
Indian cybergeeks, Bollywood actreses, Scottish wilds--it's the 21st Century where everyone is connected. I haven't read it so can't offer much personal praise. 50 EEK. Paperback. Like new.

Modoc by Ralph Helfer
"The True Story of the Greatest Elephant That Ever Lived" is how they bill it, and a lot of people agree. My mom sent me this, but it just failed to stir me. Which is to say: Don't take my advice, because this was a hugely popular book worldwide. Paperback. New. 125 EEK.

The Short Stories, Ernest Hemingway
H's first forty-nine stories with a nice preface by the author, instead of the overwritten academic apparatus a reader usually is stuck with. This book has been to battle and is marked up. Scribner paperback. 125 EEK.

To lay your hands on one of these dandies, write me at v.vikerkaar@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment