Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Coelho, Carver, Auster

The Valkyries by Paulo Coelho
I tried to read this book, but I just can't stomach Paulo Coelho. No offense. I know he's loved by many. Brand new book. 50 EEK.

Where I'm Calling From by Raymond Carver
A title which proves it's okay to end a sentence with a preposition. (Linguists tell us there actually is no such rule, even though my father did his best to convince me there was.) Despite the recent bombshell in the New Yorker about his editor rewriting his stories for him, Carver is still revered as one of the great short story writers. A slightly marked up copy, including penciled-in quote from Flaubert, "Live like a bourgeoisie; write like a revolutionary." Go figure. 100 EEK.

The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster
If you're tired of dark, cold days and need something positive to pick you up, this book is for you. For my money, it's not the most convincing dialogue, but it's well done enough to make it a national bestseller and win a huge following for Auster. Excellent condition. 150 EEK

No comments:

Post a Comment